Skills Of Goal Setting For Women
The ability to set goals and make plans with a winning attitude is imperative if you want to be a woman leading a successful life and businesses.
The skill of goal setting with action planning is one of the single most important things you can learn and perfect. This basic skill will do more to help you achieve the things you want in life than will anything else. Leading your business and life with goal-setting and goal-achieving is something that you absolutely must do if you wish to reach your potential.
Goals enable you to achieve at work, live where you want to live, lead your family, and become the kind of person you want to become. There is no limit to the rewards you can obtain. All you have to do is to set a goal, make a plan, and then work the plan until you succeed in that area. Yes! It is that simple.
The payoff for setting goals and making plans is being able to choose the kind of life you want to live. So why do so few women set goals?
According to research:
Less than 3% of Americans have written goals.
Less than 1% review and rewrite their goals on a daily basis.
Though, having written goals and reviewing them daily has shown to lead to successful achievement.
The reasons women people don’t set goals have been of considerable interest to me.
I think that there are 5 reasons why women don’t set goals.
- The first reason is that women are simply not serious about the goals we set. Many of us are setting goals that are politically correct or socially acceptable and not necessarily important in our life.
A perfect example is losing weight. We have an image of the perfect woman’s body provided by social media, television, print and more. We then seek a goal that is not necessarily our desire, but an image we believe will please others.
Whenever I speak with a woman who has achieved in an area of their life, I learn that the achievement occurred after she was serious about the goal. Until you become serious and totally determined about your individual goals, nothing really happens.
What goal have you achieved in the past? How did you get serious about that goal?
- The second reason why women don’t set goals is that we don’t understand the importance of goals. I find that many women have not learned about goals and how to move toward higher achievement from someone influential in their life or business development. Many of us grew up not talking about goals- it wasn’t part of the dinner table conversation or a part of the business. It is time to realize that goal setting is the single most important factor to success.
- The third reason why women don’t set goals is because we don’t know how to do it. One of the greatest tragedies is that we do not focus on teaching goal setting and action planning in our educational system. Therefore, we are unsure how to properly set goals and create plans for achievement.
Let’s continue to grow together and learn more about goal achievement.
- The fourth reason why women don’t set goals is fear of judgement and criticism. Women hold back their potential because we have experienced people telling us we can’t achieve; our goal is not the right goal; and it is a waste of our time.
Women tend to allow strong influence of other people’s opinions to guide our lives and we give up because of the criticism.
What is your inner critic telling you? Write it and take a black pen and cross it out!
- The fifth reason why women don’t set goals is fear of failure. We don’t set goals because we are afraid we might fail. In fact, the fear of failure is probably the greatest single obstacle to success in a woman’s life. It can hold you back more than any other factor.
Which of these are holding you back most from achieving your goals?
If you would like to read more articles like these, check out the Inspiring Women Magazine.